The story of Gust
Every year, thousands of entrepreneurs are driven to turn their bright ideas into realities, but building a successful, high-growth startup is challenging and confusing. Founders need guidance, direction, and access to a thriving ecosystem of investors, advisors, and service providers if their ventures are to survive and thrive.
We at Gust are building software at the center of this ecosystem, generating online tools and services that support the intrepid entrepreneur on the path to funding, starting day one with incorporation and sticking by them every step of the way. Our flagship product is Gust Launch, a company as a service software product that automates or streamlines much of the important but often overwhelming administrative and legal parts of running a startup so founders can focus on their actual products.
Who we are
Gust is built and maintained by 15+ creative and talented individuals who share an entrepreneurial spirit. We’re not all founders, but an empowered sense of autonomy and self-ownership runs through our company. At the same time, we know we’re at our best when working together and challenging each other. We’re focused on high quality work as we believe we’re building a lasting infrastructure to support a bigger future. There are a lot of great reasons to work at Gust, but here are a few that stand out:
- We trust our people; they have autonomy in accomplishing our shared goals
- We have a flexible and collaborative culture
- We don’t hide our individuality and respect others’
- We strongly advocate for people’s growth
- We invest in our people’s personal and professional well-being
- We work on potentially world-changing products
We are seeking a talented copywriter to help tell the story of Gust across our product, marketing website, emails, and advertising. In this role, you’ll make the knowledge necessary to launch and run a startup clear, transparent, and accessible for a wide audience of eager but often overwhelmed founders. You will tell stories that demystify what running a startup really requires in a way that gives current founders confidence and potential founders encouragement to jump in. You will communicate in a voice that is trustworthy but not condescending and stays human, helpful, and appropriately serious when necessary. This role goes beyond creating pithy ad copy (although that’s part of it) often diving into the the product itself, and will sit between Marketing, Product, and Design. This is a full-time position based in our New York City office.
Why you’re right
- You’re a refined writer and keen researcher.
- You love to wrangle complex domains and explain them in the simplest terms, both educating and encouraging audiences to learn more and take action.
- You’re heavily collaborative and believe good ideas and content can come from any role or discipline.
- You feel that communication goes beyond just the written word and into all aspects of the user experience.
- You have empathy for your customers/users and want to help them make the best decisions not just promote the party line.
- You don’t shy away from complex topics, and enjoy working with subject matter experts to understand their needs and seize opportunities to refine our messaging and experiences while becoming a subject matter expert yourself.
- You’re always reading and in touch with industry trends.
What you’ll do
- Work closely with the Product, Marketing and Design teams from conceptualization through iteration to create copy and experiences that communicate the Gust brand, product, and offering
- Keep our voice and message consistent from the smallest retargeting message to the most important product actions
- Craft and help strategize advertising copy that clarifies, intrigues, encourages, and converts
- Write and help strategize content and copy that hooks into an emotional need, clearly communicates the value proposition and brings the user further into the Gust experience with confidence and support
- Collaborate with our designers to elevate the brand across materials and platforms
- Think strategically about how each message communicates an idea, evokes an emotion, and encourages an action
- Participate enthusiastically in creative meetings, bringing your full efforts to each marketing message to optimize performance of our marketing assets
- Write and help strategize direct-response emails and product announcements that stand out in any inbox and deliver information concisely
- Regularly audit marketing messaging for freshness, consistency, audience-fit, and conversion performance
What you’ll need
- 4-7 years of relevant copywriting experience working at a product company
- A strong digital background across channels, with an impressive portfolio to prove it
- Demonstrated skill turning complex ideas, market research, and data into engaging, informative, and clear brand language and stories
- Proficiency adapting a product voice across various platforms and uses without losing the brand
- Familiarity with SEO, UX, A/B testing, and user testing
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions challenged
- Exceptional grammar, copy editing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills
- Self-starting and experience balancing and prioritizing different projects at once; communicating progress, and delivering on time
- The power to thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving and constantly evolving environment
- Legal or corporate administrative writing experience a huge plus
Perks you’ll love
- A competitive salary and equity incentive plan
- Exposure to an industry full of new, exciting, and creative companies
- Great benefits: 401K, FSA, discounted gym membership, invitations to industry events
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum
- 3 month parental leave with 2 month ramp up for birthing parent
- Working in flexible, well-equipped office environment: office located in Manhattan’s NoMad district, catered weekly lunches and breakfasts, and a positive learning environment