Inference Data Scientist
The story of Gust
Every year, thousands of entrepreneurs are driven to turn their bright ideas into realities, but building a successful, high-growth startup is challenging and confusing. Founders need guidance, direction, and access to a thriving ecosystem of investors, advisors, and service providers if their ventures are to survive and thrive.
We at Gust are building software at the center of this ecosystem, generating online tools and services that support the intrepid entrepreneur on the path to funding, starting day one with incorporation and sticking by them every step of the way.
Who we are
Gust is built and maintained by 30+ creative and talented individuals who share an entrepreneurial spirit. We’re not all founders, but an empowered sense of autonomy and self-ownership runs through our company. At the same time, we know we’re at our best when working together and challenging each other. We’re focused on high quality work as we believe we’re building a lasting infrastructure to support a bigger future. There are a lot of great reasons to work at Gust, but here are a few that stand out:
- We trust our people; they have autonomy in accomplishing our shared goals.
- We have a flexible and collaborative culture.
- We don’t hide our individuality and respect others’.
- We strongly advocate for people’s growth.
- We invest in our people’s personal and professional well-being.
- We work on potentially world-changing products.
We are looking for a product-oriented data scientist—sometimes called inference data scientist or decision scientist—to join our NYC-based team. This role sits between engineering, marketing, and product. In this role, you’ll be in charge of leading our analytic efforts as we grow our company. One of the key responsibilities of this role is to provide insights to our teams, which are then used to improve our products and go to market strategy. This includes both high-level strategic analysis and a more tactical analysis on the performance of our products and marketing channels. This role will also work with and improve our existing data and analytics pipeline with full support from the engineering team; while you’ll be leading our analytics efforts you won’t be alone in maintaining our infrastructure. There is opportunity for this role to grow into a larger leadership role as our data and analytics needs scale.
Why you’re right:
- You’re an analytical and curious human being who wants to know the meaning of things.
- You're an experimenter; you design smart tests to answer hard questions.
- You know what it takes to design, build, scale, and evolve large scale data systems.
- You don’t shy away from complex topics, and enjoy working with subject matter experts to understand their needs and opportunities for insight.
- You’re willing to expand your skills and adapt your process to new tools on the fly.
What you’ll do:
- Exploratory analysis using scripting and SQL to summarize data sets
- Work with product, marketing, and development to test and iterate on their ideas and strategies
- Influence the organization’s decision making and awareness, not just answer ad-hoc questions
- Champion the organization’s adoption and ongoing use of our data infrastructure
- Integrate data from many various data stores and track users and behaviors across a large suite of products
- Work with engineering and data vendors to improve the accuracy of our data sources
What you’ll need:
We know that the industry is broad and constantly evolving so any specific technologies and vendors listed below are only to illustrate the kinds of services and tech we mean. If you’ve got a solid grasp on the theory and practices underlying them and can learn on the job, please apply.
- Experience in data science or analytics
- A demonstrated ability to clearly communicate analysis to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of SQL and experience with other scripting/analytics languages
- Experience with ETL processes and data pipelines (we use AWS Data Pipeline)
- Experience with data stores (Redshift, Postgres, Mongo) and services (Segment, Google Analytics)
- Experience with statistical analysis and a data visualization package such as Periscope, Tableau, Strata, etc. (we use Periscope)
- Experience with pulling and managing data from product and marketing services (Hubspot, Intercom, Adwords, Stripe, SendGrid, etc.)
- Experience building complex attribution models or similarly complex models
- Ability to work in both a team environment and independently
Perks you’ll love:
- A competitive salary and equity incentive plan
- Exposure to an industry full of new, exciting, and creative companies
- Great benefits: 401K, FSA, discounted gym membership, invitations to industry events
- Medical/dental/vision coverage
- Unlimited vacation policy with a minimum
- 3 month parental leave with 2 month ramp up for birthing parent
- Working in flexible, well-equipped office environment: office located in Manhattan’s NoMad district, catered weekly lunches and breakfasts, company outings, and a positive learning environment
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!